GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Gusella Laboratory in the Center for Genomic Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic candidate to join our research group. Our research group conducts research into the basis of neurodegenerative disease.
A highly motivated individual with a background in bioinformatics or computer science is sought to join an existing genomics team to perform computational analysis of a variety of genetic and genomics datasets. The candidate will conduct multi-disciplinary collaborative research utilizing the most recent advances in the fields of genetics and genomics, to perform statistical and bioinformatic analyses. The candidate will interact directly with investigators in the CGM, Harvard Medical School, and the Broad Institute. This position offers the opportunity to interact with leaders in genetics and genomic medicine fields in a dynamic environment with opportunity for career development and growth.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under general supervision of team members and guided overall by the Principal Investigator will determine the most suitable methodologies in active research projects in computational genomics and statistical genetics. Will assist in computational analysis depending on active research needs. Will implement new applications and techniques for data analysis. Will prepare summaries of research and assist with preparing results for publication and presentation.
- Will use novel computational tools for data acquisition, analysis and archiving. Will additionally help enter, update, and delete data for projects, as well as troubleshoot any data management issues.
- Will present project performance and data at laboratory meetings. Will meet with Principal Investigator on a regular basis to discuss work, progress, results, project meetings/discussions, and project plans.
- Will keep detailed ‘lab notebook’ of work, progress, results, project meetings/discussions, and project plans. Likewise, all software will need to be well-documented and accompanied by to-be-written/updated user manuals as needed.
- Will perform independent literature searches as necessary or as directed.
- Will perform all other duties and assignments as requested, as appropriate to the research projects
- Experience with Perl, Python, or other scripting languages.
- Some experience with bioinformatics.
- Ability to independently manage day-to-day collaborations and Bioinformatics workflows.
- Excellent skills in oral presentation and good writing skills; ability to communicate basic ideas of computational analyses clearly and succinctly.
- Bachelor’s degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computational Biology, or Computational Genetics.
- Understanding of statistics is preferred.
- Expertise working in Unix/Linux environments is preferred.
- Understanding of genetics and genomics is preferred.
- Research Building with Office and Laboratory Environment.
EEO Statement Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.