|GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Multi-Investigator Rosand, Anderson, and Biffi laboratories within the McCance Center for Brain Health, Department of Neurology, and Center for Genomic Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital lead ambitious research programs in cerebrovascular disease, with the united goal of leveraging genomics, epidemiology, neuroimaging, clinical informatics, and machine learning to revolutionize the prevention of stroke and the preservation of brain health across the lifespan. With projects spread across Boston academic medical institutions and the Broad Institute, a diverse funding portfolio, and a dynamic staff of coordinators, technologists, data scientists, and research fellows, our research group serves as a hub for brain health research locally, nationally, and internationally.
We are looking for a well-organized, dynamic, highly motivated project manager to help us deliver on our near- and long-term research goals and manage our internal organizational programs in biobanking, data and sample management, and data visualization. Reporting to the Sr. Lab Manager and working closely with the principal investigators and scientific program director, the clinical research project manager will have responsibility for day-to-day and long-term strategic project management related to research programs of three principal investigators devoted to brain health. Responsibilities include, but not limited to: ensuring research project deliverables are completed in a timely manner, ensuring seamless communication across project teams, supervising and task management/delegation for research coordinators and interns; management of regulatory activities associated with research studies, IRB submissions and renewals; assembling grant applications.
Well-developed organizational, communication and problem-solving abilities in a fast-paced research environment are required. The ideal candidate must exhibit a high level of expertise, comfort, and independence in managing and facilitating objectives for a complex cross-functional project team that spans Mass General Brigham and external collaborations around the world. Previous experience with program and/or project management and a history of completing projects to specification is strongly preferred.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Project Definition and Tracking
- Track project progress and communicate with stakeholders
- Prepare and disseminate communications with external stakeholders
- Work closely with lab members to gain an understanding of data processing methods and tools
- Documents and facilitates the definition of project scope, goals, and resource requirements
- Translates clearly defined project needs into deliverables, milestones, and timelines by establishing the project plan
- Tracks progress of key milestones, ensuring execution of key deliverables
- Manages changes in timelines, deliverables and budget as needed
- Works closely with project leaders to establish quality criteria and monitor quality of projects
- Conducts project evaluations and assessment of results
- Actively seeks out best practices; transmits this information to the project team and revises project plan accordingly
- Develops timelines, task lists, and operational plans for the completion of research projects, grant deliverables, and laboratory management goals in coordination with the principal investigators.
- Ensures appropriate communication with all project stakeholders regarding timelines and status, deadlines, data requirements, logistics and all other project-related issues
- Facilitates project meetings to continually align the team around goals and communicate blocking issues
- Ensures appropriate funds are in place and tracks financial status of all projects relative to available budgets
- Works with Compliance office to generate and maintain appropriate IRB for work specific to project plan (if necessary)
- Ensures that projects and activities adhere to institutional guidelines with regards to safety and regulatory compliance
Management and Teamwork
- Delegates tasks to Clinical Research Coordinators, if necessary
- Leads and develops agendas and minutes for meetings related to ongoing projects.
- Identifies roadblocks and alternative strategies for the completion of projects on-time and to specification and communicates updated information on at-risk deliverables or deadlines to the Sr. Lab Manager and the principal investigators.
- Develops detailed protocol documents that meet federal/institutional standards.
- Ensures study design’s compatibility with clinical/research practices
- Provides critical input as to feasibility of study design and available resources
- Ensures document consistency.
- Attends meetings and scientific conferences, as needed
- Works with Data Manager and Coordinators to perform data audits, including quality control and assurance of research data, as need.
- Assists with preparation of grant applications and manuscripts, including data analyses, literature searches, drafting of text, confirming affiliations and linking of funding to accepted manuscripts.
- Assists with Material Transfer Agreements, Data Use Agreements and Research Collaboration agreements.
- Maintains communication platforms including newsletters, emails, and lab websites/social media.
- Assists with data collection, interviews, data analysis, and reporting of preliminary findings, as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a cross functional collaboration to effectively manage and deliver on project goals
- Ability to adapt plans and priorities to rapidly shifting goals
- Must possess a high level of initiative and the ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Highly detail oriented
- Knowledge of project management techniques and tools
- Excellent communication skills required; the ability to effectively communicate s information and influence others
- Excellent time management, interpersonal, and organizational skills required
- Must be able handle a variety of tasks and effectively solve problems as they arise
- Excellent interpersonal/communications skills
- Ability to make independent, effective decisions
- Excellent judgement and ability to interpret information and protocol requirements
- Aptitude for technical problem solving
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to organize time and priorities effectively, asking for direction when appropriate. Flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures.
- Ability to identify issues and initiates plans to address; Demonstrates forthrightness and integrity.
- Skills to work efficiently and effectively and strives to do so in all aspects of position. Ability to engender these skills among staff.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters discreetly and to ensure confidentiality guidelines are maintained by staff.
- Ability to appropriately evaluate all aspects of a situation and to independently make appropriate and timely decisions.
- Exceptional computer skills (including operating systems, word processing, database, electronic mail, Internet, and spreadsheets).
- Knowledge in all aspects of laboratory safety and ability to ensure a safe environment for laboratory staff and subjects.
- Ability to work with large groups of investigators across departments/centers and institutions to complete project deliverables
- Innovative, detail-oriented and self-motivated
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree required; MA/MS/MPH preferred.
- BS with 5+ years of related experience
- Experience and training in project management or program management required
- Experience in clinical research, neurological or genetic research, preferred.
- Indirect management of clinical research coordinators and lab technicians
- Project management of clinical research coordinators, lab technicians, data managers, and research fellows
- Fiscal responsibilities will include budgeting for projects, identifying cost-effective strategies to complete projects, and ensuring lab consumables are obtained at best rate possible.
- Remote work currently; office and lab environment upon return to onsite work.
- Some local and international travel may be required
- Some after-hours meetings may be required.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged