The Psychiatric and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit (PNGU), based in the Center for Genomic Medicine (CGM), and Department of Psychiatry at the Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston), is seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic candidates for an immediate research technician opening. Working with a multidisciplinary team of investigators under the overall direction of Dr. Erin C. Dunn (www.thedunnlab.com) at MGH, applicants will contribute to a project exploring the use of shed primary teeth as novel biomarkers of exposure to stress and subsequent risk for mental health problems.
The technician’s responsibilities will be to generate the majority of tooth-related markers for this project, and will include wet lab and dry lab work, including micro CT imaging, histological analyses, as well as proteomic analyses and process proteomics data.
Candidates with backgrounds in multiple disciplines, including but not limited to dentistry, anthropology, biology, genetics, epidemiology, and/or public health are encouraged to apply. Our team is highly collaborative and includes epidemiologists, dentists, anthropologists, neuroscientists, pediatricians, and biologists. This is a highly unique opportunity for someone seeking to gain laboratory experience in an interdisciplinary environment, and pursue an opportunity to identify novel biomarkers in the field of mental health research.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares basic solutions and performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. – pipetting, cell and tissue culture, etc.)
- Maintains laboratory notebook
- Understands and applies basic scientific techniques
- Conducts analysis of results and may begin interpretation of results
- Sets up and prepares routine experiments as directed
- Prepares lab reagents, chemicals, instruments and equipment
- May perform independent literature searches
- Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation
- Maintains and orders supplies
A Research Technician II performs the duties of a Research Technician I (above) and may also:
- Execute protocols of non-routine experiments
- Assist the PI(s) with determining the most suitable methodology
- Perform basic design and modification of protocols
- Calculate, transcribe and analyze data
- Prepare and present reports
- Organize and summarize acquired data, using scientific and statistical techniques.
- Organize and/or draft material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts and other documents for publication and/or presentation.
- Participate in the design of experiments or field work.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Good communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Working knowledge of clinical research protocols
- Ability to perform multiple tasks independently
- Background in related discipline, including but not limited to dentistry, anthropology biology, and/or public health
- Wet-lab experience
- Imaging experience (e.g. micro CT) a plus, but not required
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team in a fast-paced, highly collaborative and supportive environment
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities in response to changing deadlines and the needs of the lab
- Excellent quantitative and organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to work well in collaborative environment
The Research Technician II should also possess:
- Analytical skills and the ability to resolve technical problems
- Ability to interpret acceptability of data results
- Working knowledge of data management programs
- Demonstrated competence in research techniques and methodologies
Bachelor’s degree required. MA/MS preferred.
New graduates with some lab experience (via course work, internships, etc.) or those without any prior research experience will be considered for the Research Technician I position outlined above.
Those with a minimum of 1 year of directly related work experience will be considered for a Research Technician II position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
A Research Technician II may serve as a team leader to lab assistants and Research Technician I’s.Apply online here: https://partners.taleo.net/careersection/ghc/jobdetail.ftl?job=3104515