GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Kleinstiver Laboratory (www.kleinstiverlab.org) in the Center for Genomic Medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, is seeking highly motivated candidates for a Post-doctoral Fellow position. The recruit for this specific position will play a critical role in managing a collaborative effort dedicated to developing and applying scalable genome editing technologies. This project is funded by the NIH IGVF consortium (grant HG012010), working closely with collaborators Dr. Luca Pinello (Massachusetts General Hospital), Dr. Daniel Bauer (Children’s Hospital Boston), Guillaume Lettre (Montreal Heart Institute), and Richard Sherwood (Brigham and Women’s Hospital).
We are recruiting Ph.D.-level scientists to work collaboratively on various projects seeking to bridge the development and optimization of CRISPR genome editing technologies with translational editing approaches. The candidate will play an integral role in projects related to genome editing technology development, optimization, and translation. The Kleinstiver Laboratory develops and applies CRISPR genome editing technologies for biomedical research and the treatment of human diseases. We utilize protein engineering methods to impart desirable properties into CRISPR nucleases, base editors, and prime editors, and seek to translate novel and optimized reagents into molecular medicines. The new hire will be appointed as a Research Fellow at the Massachusetts General Hospital and Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Harvard Medical School.
Interested applicants should contact Dr. Ben Kleinstiver (email@example.com) directly with:
a CV detailing scientific experience, technical skills, publications, presentations, examples of mentorship, etc.
a brief description of research interests and career goals
a summary of their most significant accomplishments
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Post-Doctoral Fellow will become proficient in the following duties (examples, but not limited to): routine molecular biology (PCR, recombinant DNA cloning, bacterial transformations, etc.), biochemical techniques, mammalian cell culture, assessment of genome editing technologies in bacteria and mammalian cells, DNA sequencing methods (Sanger, Illumina next-generation sequencing, Oxford Nanopore, etc.), designing and executing experiments, analyzing and visualizing data, in silico design of molecular constructs, developing and optimizing genome editing assays, attending seminars and conferences, interacting with collaborators and peers, mentoring others in the laboratory, assisting with routine laboratory tasks, preparing reagents and solutions, recording experimental details and results in an electronic notebook, time management, communication skills, and presenting summaries of work or scientific papers in lab meeting and journal club, respectively.
The Post-Doctoral fellow will be situated in the MGH under the guidance and mentorship of Dr. Kleinstiver.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- The ideal candidate should have received (or expect to receive soon) a Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Genomics or other closely related fields, or an M.D.. Example skills and competencies that the candidate should/could be familiar with include, but are not limited to:
- Evidence of a strong publication record, including first (or co-first) author of one or more peer-reviewed scientific publications
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Strong proficiency in standard molecular biology techniques
- Familiarity with genome, epigenetic, and base editing technologies
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, including transformed cancer cell lines and primary cells
- Familiarity with Illumina sequencing methods and data analysis
- A general interest in the scientific literature and staying informed of new advances
- Able to work both independently and in a team
- Experience with commonly used bioinformatics tools and databases, and other standard software
- Familiarity with metabolic and/or neurological diseases
- Experience mentoring and training others
- Exceptional organizational skills
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS: Not Applicable
EDUCATION: Doctoral Degree
Field of Study/Additional Specialized Training: Not Applicable
EXPERIENCE: Required: Recent PhD graduate
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (authority to hire, promote, or terminate): Not Applicable
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Not Applicable
WORKING CONDITIONS: TBD