GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
he Kleinstiver Laboratory (www.kleinstiverlab.org) in the Center for Genomic Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic candidate to join our research group. Our research group is interested in developing and applying CRISPR genome editing technologies for biomedical research and the treatment of human diseases. We utilize protein engineering methods to impart desirable properties into CRISPR nucleases and base editors, and seek to translate optimized reagents into clinically relevant primary cell types. The candidate will play an integral role in projects related to genome editing technology development and applications thereof.
Under the direction of Dr. Kleinstiver or other lab members, the candidate for the Research Technician I or II position(s) will become proficient in the following duties (examples, but not limited to): routine molecular biology (PCR, recombinant DNA cloning, bacterial transformations, etc.), biochemical techniques, mammalian cell culture, assessment of genome editing technologies in bacteria and mammalian cells, DNA sequencing (Sanger and NGS), designing and executing experiments, analyzing and visualizing data, assisting with routine laboratory tasks (organizing, ordering, stocking, etc.), preparing reagents and solutions, developing and optimizing genome editing assays, recording experimental details and results in an electronic notebook, time management, communication skills, and presenting summaries of work or scientific papers in lab meeting and journal club, respectively.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Please note, the functions below are representative of major duties that are typically associated with these positions. Specific responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Similarly, not all duties that have been outlined will be assigned to each position.
- Prepares basic solutions and performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. – pipetting, cell and tissue culture, etc.)
- Maintains laboratory notebook
- Understands and applies basic scientific techniques
- Conducts analysis of results and may begin interpretation of results
- Sets up and prepares routine experiments as directed
- Prepares lab reagents, chemicals, instruments and equipment
- May perform independent literature searches
- Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation
- Maintains and orders supplies
A Research Technician II performs the duties of a Research Technician I (above) and may also:
- Execute protocols of non-routine experiments
- Assist the PI(s) with determining the most suitable methodology
- Perform basic design and modification of protocols
- Calculate, transcribe and analyze data
- Prepare and present reports
- Organize and summarize acquired data, using scientific and statistical techniques.
- Organize and/or draft material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts and other documents for publication and/or presentation.
- Participate in the design of experiments or field work.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Good communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Working knowledge of clinical research protocols
- Ability to perform multiple tasks independently
The Research Technician II should also possess:
- Analytical skills and the ability to resolve technical problems
- Ability to interpret acceptability of data results
- Working knowledge of data management programs
- Demonstrated competence in research techniques and methodologies
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- New graduates with some lab experience (via course work, internships, etc.) or those without any prior research experience will be considered for the Research Technician I position outlined above.
- Those with a minimum of 1 year of directly related work experience will be considered for a Research Technician II position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
- A Research Technician II may serve as a team leader to lab assistants and Research Technician I’s.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.Apply online here: https://partners.taleo.net/careersection/ghc/jobdetail.ftl?job=3089139