The Seong Laboratory in the Center for Genomic Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic candidate to join our research group. Our research group seeks a highly motivated research technician to assist with projects investigating the molecular and cellular mechanisms of inherited neurological disorders, such as Huntington’s disease or CDKL5 deficient disorder. Overall the position will support the development and implementation of biochemical and cell biological assays with human patient iPSCs, neural progenitor cells and differentiated neurons. This is a unique opportunity for working in a fast-paced, and highly collaborative, translational research group working at the interface of genetics, biochemistry and therapeutic development.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares basic solutions and performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. – pipetting, cell and tissue culture, etc.)
- Maintains laboratory notebook
- Understands and applies basic scientific techniques
- Conducts analysis of results and may begin interpretation of results
- Sets up and prepares routine experiments as directed
- Prepares lab reagents, chemicals, instruments and equipment
- May perform independent literature searches
- Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation
- Maintains and orders supplies
A Research Technician II performs the duties of a Research Technician I (above) and may also:
- Execute protocols of non-routine experiments
- Assist the PI(s) with determining the most suitable methodology
- Perform basic design and modification of protocols
- Calculate, transcribe and analyze data
- Prepare and present reports
- Organize and summarize acquired data, using scientific and statistical techniques.
- Organize and/or draft material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts and other documents for publication and/or presentation.
- Participate in the design of experiments or field work.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Good communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Working knowledge of clinical research protocols
- Ability to perform multiple tasks independently
The Research Technician II should also possess:
- Analytical skills and the ability to resolve technical problems
- Ability to interpret acceptability of data results
- Working knowledge of data management programs
- Demonstrated competence in research techniques and methodologies
Bachelor’s degree required.
New graduates with some lab experience (via course work, internships, etc.) or those without any prior research experience will be considered for the Research Technician I position outlined above.
Those with a minimum of 1 year of directly related work experience will be considered for a Research Technician II position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
A Research Technician II may serve as a team leader to lab assistants and Research Technician I’s.Apply online here: https://partners.taleo.net/careersection/ghc/jobdetail.ftl?job=3112802