The Perlis Laboratory in the Center for Quantitative Health (CQH), part of the Center for Genomic Medicine (CGM) at the Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School is seeking a highly motivated Research Technician to work in the area of neuropsychiatric disease cellular modeling and translational neuroscience in support of the Platform for Cellular Modeling of Neuropsychiatric Disease (cMiND). Position is ideal for those experienced and/or have a strong interest in stem cell biology, disease modeling, neurobiology and developmental genetics.
Principal duties and responsibilities will include performing cutting edge, bench-level research in the following areas: molecular/cellular biology, human induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSCs) and neural stem cells, cellular differentiation, lineage phenotyping and basic neurobiology. The technician will be responsible for executing cellular and molecular assays with data collection and analysis. This position will involve working under supervision of Senior lab members with some independent duties.
Candidates should have a proven track record in contributing to scientific research in an academic or industrial setting. Excellent critical thinking skills and attention to detail needed. Must be able to use sound judgment to effectively solve problems, work under supervision, and handle a variety of tasks. Requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills along with meticulous laboratory technique and recording skills.
Must have experience in aseptic techniques including, but not limited to the culture of human cell lines, primary tissue culture and long-term cultures. Experience working with and tracking large numbers of individual lines (e.g. patient lines) simultaneously highly desired. Experience with neural cell culture and/or stem cells highly desired. Additionally, bench-level experience in biochemical assays such as Western analysis, PCR and RT-PCR, immunohistochemistry, ELISA, luminescence, etc. is highly desired.
Must have excellent computer skills, the ability to perform quantitative analysis and be able to execute the handling and organization of large data sets. Knowledge of programs such as Excel, GraphPad Prism, CellProfiler, or ImageJ would be preferred. More advanced statistics or programming skills (MATLAB, R) a plus. Must be able to use discretion to organize workflow and to change methodologies to optimize work results and communicate effectively with all levels of staff to ensure that work supports team goals.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A Research Technician II performs the duties of a Research Technician I and may also:
- Execute protocols of non-routine experiments
- Assist the PI(s) with determining the most suitable methodology
- Perform basic design and modification of protocols
- Calculate, transcribe and analyze data
- Prepare and present reports
- Organize and summarize acquired data, using scientific and statistical techniques.
- Organize and/or draft material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts and other documents for publication and/or presentation.
- Participate in the design of experiments or field work.
- Basic cellular and molecular laboratory skills required
- Ability to work under supervision, independently and as a team member
- Good communication skills
- Must be able to perform multiple tasks independently
The Research Technician II should also possess:
- Analytical skills and ability to resolve technical problems
- Ability to appropriately interpret data
- Working knowledge of data management programs (i.e. Excel)
- High Degree of computer literacy
- Demonstrated competence in research techniques and methodologies.
Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum of 1 year of directly related experience required including laboratory experience in cell biology, microscopy, neurobiology, biochemistry, molecular biology or related field.
Tissue culture experience highly desired. Stem cell related research experience including long term culture maintenance also highly desired.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
A Research Technician II may serve as a team leader to lab assistants and Research Technician I’s.Apply online here: https://partners.taleo.net/careersection/ghc/jobdetail.ftl?job=3109189