GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Perlis Laboratory in the Center for Quantitative Health (CQH), part of the Center for Genomic Medicine (CGM) at the Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School is seeking a highly motivated Research Technician to work in the area of neuropsychiatric disease cellular modeling and translational neuroscience in support of the Platform for Cellular Modeling of Neuropsychiatric Disease (cMiND). Position is ideal for those who are experienced in, and/or have a strong interest in, stem cell biology, disease modeling, neurobiology and developmental genetics. This is a fully supported appointment with annual renewal based on merit and achievement.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Principal duties and responsibilities will include performing bench-level cutting edge research in the following areas: molecular/cellular biology, human induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSCs) and neural stem cells, cellular differentiation, lineage phenotyping and basic neurobiology. This position will involve working under supervision of senior lab members with some independent duties
Candidates should have a proven track record in contributing to scientific research in an academic or industrial setting. Excellent critical thinking skills and attention to detail needed. Must be able to use sound judgment to effectively solve problems, work under supervision, and handle a variety of tasks. Requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills along with meticulous laboratory technique and recording skills.
Must have experience in aseptic techniques including, but not limited to the culture of human cell lines, primary tissue culture and long-term cultures. Experience working with and tracking large numbers of individual lines (e.g. patient lines) simultaneously highly desired. Experience with neural cell culture and/or stem cells highly desired. Additionally, bench-level experience in biochemical assays such as Western analysis, PCR and RT-PCR, immunohistochemistry, ELISA, luminescence, etc. is highly desired.
Must have excellent computer skills, the ability to perform quantitative analysis and be able to execute the handling and organization of large data sets. Knowledge of R and/or MATLAB, Excel and GraphPad Prism or CellProfiler helpful. More advanced statistics or programming skills a plus. Must be able to use discretion to organize workflow and to change methodologies to optimize work results and communicate effectively with all levels of staff to ensure that work supports team goals.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Please note, the functions below are representative of major duties that are typically associated with these positions. Specific responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Similarly, not all duties that have been outlined will be assigned to each position.
- *Prepares basic solutions and performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. pipetting, cell and*Maintains laboratory notebook.*Sets up and prepares routine experiments as directed.*May perform independent literature searches.*Maintains supplies.*Assists PI with determining the most suitable methodology.*Calculates, transcribes and analyzes data.*Organizes and summarizes acquired data, using scientific and statistical techniques.*Participates in the design of experiments.
- *Organizes and/or drafts material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts, or other documents for publication and/or presentation.
- *Prepares and presents reports.
- *Performs basic design and modification of protocols.
- *Executes protocols of non-routine experiments.
- *Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation.
- *Prepares lab reagents, chemicals, instruments and equipment.
- *Conducts analysis of results, and may begin interpretation of results.
- tissue culture, immunocytochemistry, etc.).
*Ability to work under supervision, independently and as a team member
*Good communication skills
*Must be able to perform multiple tasks independently
* Analytical skills and ability to resolve technical problems
* Ability to interpret acceptability of data results
* Working knowledge of data management programs (i.e. Excel)
* High Degree of computer literacy
* Demonstrated competence in research techniques and methodologies.
Laboratory bench work in Tissue Culture environment and wet-chemistry. TC room is rated BL2S, so appropriate training and supervision will be provided.
- BA/BS Required.
- Minimum of 1 year of directly related experience. Bachelor’s degree with 2-4 years laboratory experience in cell biology, microscopy, neurobiology, biochemistry, molecular biology or related field. Tissue culture experience highly desired. Stem cell related research experience including long term culture maintenance also highly desired.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Apply online here: https://partners.taleo.net/careersection/ghc/jobdetail.ftl?job=3121935