GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Slaugenhaupt Laboratory in the Center for Genomic Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) is seeking a highly motivated research technician to join our team. Our research is focused on identifying novel therapeutic approaches for a devastating rare neurodegenerative disease called Familial Dysautonomia (FD). The ideal candidate would have strong attention to details and excellent time management, organizational, and communication skills. S/he would also have a background and/or interest in clinical/biomedical research and/or human genetics and genomics.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Please note, the functions below are representative of major duties that are typically associated with these positions. Specific responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Similarly, not all duties that have been outlined will be assigned to each position.
- Prepares basic solutions and performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. – pipetting, cell and tissue culture, etc.)
- Maintains laboratory notebook
- Understands and applies basic scientific techniques
- Conducts analysis of results and may begin interpretation of results
- Sets up and prepares routine experiments as directed
- Prepares lab reagents, chemicals, instruments and equipment
- May perform independent literature searches
- Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation
- Maintains and orders supplies
A Research Technician II performs the duties of a Research Technician I (above) and may also:
- Execute protocols of non-routine experiments
- Assist the PI(s) with determining the most suitable methodology
- Perform basic design and modification of protocols
- Calculate, transcribe and analyze data
- Prepare and present reports
- Organize and summarize acquired data, using scientific and statistical techniques.
- Organize and/or draft material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts and other documents for publication and/or presentation.
- Participate in the design of experiments or field work.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Good communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Working knowledge of clinical research protocols
- Ability to perform multiple tasks independently
The Research Technician II should also possess:
- Analytical skills and the ability to resolve technical problems
- Ability to interpret acceptability of data results
- Working knowledge of data management programs
- Demonstrated competence in research techniques and methodologies
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- New graduates with some lab experience (via course work, internships, etc.) or those without any prior research experience will be considered for the Research Technician I position outlined above.
- Those with a minimum of 1 year of directly related work experience will be considered for a Research Technician II position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
- A Research Technician II may serve as a team leader to lab assistants and Research Technician I’s.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.Apply online here: https://partners.taleo.net/careersection/ghc/jobdetail.ftl?job=3125811