GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Talkowski Laboratory in the Center for Genomic Medicine (CGM) at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic candidate to join our research group. Our research is focused on understanding the genetic etiology of complex developmental and neuropsychiatric disorders. Collectively, our efforts revolve around a cycle that traverses from discovery of genomic variation across global populations to disease association, mechanistic modeling, and translation to diagnostic interpretation in the emerging era of genomic medicine. Our group integrates molecular and computational genomics approaches to understand the functional consequences of genomic variation, with a particular interest in the relationship between genome structure and function.
Candidate will provide administrative support to Dr. Talkowski and his lab members. Support includes coordinating travel, submitting reimbursements, managing meetings, planning social activities, and providing general assistance where needed. We are a dynamic group of over 40 scientists at many different career levels including graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, research technicians, bioinformaticians, computational biologists, and staff scientists. We pride ourselves on promoting a team environment so having strong interpersonal skills wills be important as you will interact with most everyone in the lab.
The incumbent must possess expert knowledge of Microsoft Office systems – including Outlook, Excel, and Word – and have excellent communication, interpersonal, and time management skills. This position requires discretion and judgment to organize priorities, complete tasks in a timely manner, and handle confidential information.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides direct support to Michael Talkowski and his research laboratory
- Work with lab manager to manage calendar, schedule meetings, and handle correspondence
- Coordinate all aspects of travel
- Manage corporate card purchases, reimbursements, and reconciliations
- Provide general administrative assistance to lab members
- Maintain office supplies
- Maintain familiarity with all applicable Partners guidelines
- Coordinate meetings, luncheons, lectures, conferences, etc. including scheduling, preparing agenda, distributing reminders, and arranging for refreshments, conference room, and transportation as needed
- Perform internet or library research as needed
- Assist with other tasks as needed
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, and other Microsoft Office applications
- Familiarity with Google calendar and other Google applications
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to learn new computer applications quickly and use them efficiently
- Ability to make decisions quickly and independently
- Excellent interpersonal/communications skills
- Ability to interact with individuals in senior leadership roles at MGB and throughout the industry
- Creative thinking, a willingness to learn new things, problem solving and an ability to handle multiple projects are expected
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential matters discreetly and maintain confidentiality guidelines
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS:
High school diploma, GED or equivalent
Required: Minimum 3 years of relevant experience required
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (authority to hire, promote, or terminate):
Office environment in a research building
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.