GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The Kleinstiver Laboratory (www.kleinstiverlab.org) in the Center for Genomic Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) is seeking motivated and enthusiastic candidates to join our team. Our research group develops, engineers, optimizes, and applies CRISPR genome editing technologies for biomedical research applications and for the potential treatment of human diseases. We utilize protein engineering methods to impart desirable properties into various CRISPR-Cas nucleases (Cas9, Cpf1/Cas12a, other Cas12 enzumes, etc.), base editors, prime editors, CRISPR-associated transposases (CASTs) and other novel editing platforms. We then translate these optimized reagents into pre-clinical models and primary cell types to explore their potential to correct disease-causing mutations. The candidate will play an integral role in projects related to genome editing technology development and applications thereof, including engineering, characterizing, and utilizing novel enzymes. Candidates should have an interest in genome engineering, CRISPR-Cas enzymes, protein engineering, molecular evolution, generating cellular models, and other related areas.
Under the direction of Dr. Kleinstiver or other lab members, the candidate(s) for the Research Technologist position(s) will become proficient in the following duties (examples, but not limited to): molecular biology methods (PCR, recombinant DNA cloning, bacterial transformations, etc.), biochemical techniques, mammalian cell culture, assessment of genome editing technologies in bacteria and mammalian cells, DNA sequencing (Sanger and NGS), designing and executing experiments, analyzing and visualizing data, assisting with routine laboratory tasks (organizing, ordering, stocking, etc.), preparing reagents and solutions, developing and optimizing genome editing assays, recording experimental details and results in an electronic notebook, time management, communication skills, and presenting summaries of work or scientific papers in lab meeting and journal club, respectively.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares basic solutions and performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. pipetting, cell and
- tissue culture, etc.).
- Maintains laboratory notebook.
- Has understanding of molarity.
- Conducts analysis of results, and may begin interpretation of results.
- Sets up and prepares routine experiments as directed.
- Prepares lab reagents, chemicals, instruments and equipment.
- May perform independent literature searches.
- Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation.
- Maintains and orders supplies.
- Executes protocols of non-routine experiments.
- Assists PI with determining the most suitable methodology.
- Performs basic design and modification of protocols.
- Calculates, transcribes and analyzes data.
- Prepares and presents reports.
- Organizes and summarizes acquired data, using scientific and statistical techniques.
- Organizes and/or drafts material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts, or other documents for publication and/or presentation.
- Participates in the design of experiments or field work.
- May develop modifications of existing assay techniques, experimental protocols, or new
- Synthesizes and interprets results.
- Prepares written and/or verbal status reports.
- Uses statistical and graphic summaries.
- *Orients and trains new Research Technicians and Fellows.
- Excellent communication skills
- Sound interpersonal skills and the ability to supervise others
- Ability to work independently and display initiative to introduce innovations to research study
- Ability to prepare/monitor budgets
- Ability to identify problems and develop solutions
- Ability to prioritize tasks and set deadlines
- Functions with speed, precision and an understanding of theory behind tests and procedures.
- BA/BA Required
- Requires 3+ years of directly related and progressively more responsible experience.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
- May supervise Laboratory Assistants, Technicians and Technologists.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS (if applicable): N/A
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable): N/A
WORKING CONDITIONS: work is performed in a laboratory.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.